SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Jonathan Perkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jonathan Perkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2014 09:42:14 +0100
* On 2014-07-11 at 09:02 BST, Elias Persson wrote:

> On 2014-07-10 19:53, Yasha Karant wrote:
> >I received the following email message that does not appear to be posted
> >to the SL list.
>
> It's on the list:
> http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1407&L=scientific-linux-users&T=0&P=15184
>
> The weird way it was sent (via another list?) and the fact that
> the SL lists lack list-id and such probably cause any filter you
> might have to miss it though.

Sorry, my fault.  I subscribed to a few different lists which I
thought would be interested in this, and then sent one mail which
bcc'd them - assuming that the list servers in question would handle
the rest.

Again, if you have any questions about this package set, I'd be
delighted to answer them.  I've had a few come in so far, so I'll take
the chance to summarise them here:

 - You can browse the list of packages here:

     http://pkgsrc.joyent.com/packages/Linux/el6/2014Q2/x86_64/All/

 - They aren't in RPM format, but pkgsrc (the system used to build
   them) does have pluggable backend support, and there was an
   unfinished GSOC project to implement RPM support a few years back.
   If someone is interested it would be fantastic to see this finished
   so we can provide them as RPMs via yum instead.

 - pkgsrc is branched every 3 months, and from that we generate the
   binary packages and provide a new package set, so every quarter
   there is a fresh update of new packages.

Cheers,