SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2014

From:
Boryeu Mao <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Boryeu Mao <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:23:39 -0700
I have tested, successfully, the installation of SL 7 alpha DVD to a
harddisk image via qemu (under SL 6.5 x86_64 on an HP Pavilion g6
laptop).  To test the build of AMD proprietary graphics driver however
requires the detection of the gpu hardware, hence the installation
onto a physical hard disk, which is something I prefer not to do until
later.  For this purpose, one approach is to build a bootable iso out
of the virtual harddisk image from qemu - some info on this could be
found in the ubuntu community but so far nothing (that I could find)
for rhel systems - is this doable?  Perhaps there may be other
approaches for testing the build without the installation to the hard
disk.

PS - One related question: how could the squashfs image file in the
LiveOS directory in SL-7-x86_64-DVD.iso be accessed?  An attempt to
mount the img file fails with an error of 'unknown filesystem type',
nor could the file be unsquashed with 'unsquashfs'.  It seems
reasonable to think the content of the squashfs.img could be
accessible.

Thanks in advance.
Boryeu Mao