SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2014

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2014 16:14:55 -0500
Fermilab's intention is to continue the development and support of
Scientific Linux and refine its focus as an operating system for
scientific computing. Today we are announcing an alpha release of
Scientific Linux 7.  We continue to develop a stable process for
generating and distributing Scientific Linux, with the intent that
Scientific Linux remains the same high quality operating system the
community has come to expect.

Scientific Linux 7.0 x86_64 ALPHA  - July 3, 2014

Please review the release notes at:
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/7rolling/x86_64/release-notes/

This URL may change further in the release cycle.

The Upstream release notes are at:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/index.html

These packages were built at Fermilab from TUV's sources.

You can find the release at:
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/7rolling/

NOTE: The 'everything' dvd image requires a Dual-Layer (DL) compatible
drive for both burning and booting off of.  The livecd-iso-to-disk
utility is able to convert this to USB successfully.

Send comments/issues/test reports to:

This update features a new artwork scheme from Suzanne Thompson.

This ALPHA does not include many historic SL addons.

We would like to open discussion on which specific packages/utilities
should be added to SL 7.

Specific topics of conversation:
  - OpenAFS
    We are interested in OpenAFS for SL7

  - external yum repos
    We are interested in adding yum repos for the same projects hosted
in SL6.  This includes elrepo, epel, rpmforge, and rpmfusion.

  - SL_* rpms

  - yum-autoupdate
    I would prefer to use yum-cron rather than yum-autoupdate for
automatic updates.  These days they are very much feature compatible and
fixes/enhancements can be sent upstream for the benefit of all.

  - installation media
    We are currently making two install iso images: network and
everything.  Is this sufficient?

  - SL yum repos
    I'll have a separate thread for this later.

  - default tuning
    The current default tuning is the upstream provided 'balanced' from
tuned.

  - Secure Boot
    Scientific Linux has joined the UEFI forum with the intent of
providing valid secure boot images.  This it not yet implemented.

For organization sake, I'll ask that package/feature questions be put
into their own email thread.