SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2014

From:
Alex Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:24:34 +0100
On 9 Jul 2014, at 18:58, Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 07/07/2014 10:07 AM, Pat Riehecky wrote:
>> For SL6 we include the following 'tweak' rpms:
>>
>> SL_desktop_tweaks
>> SL_enable_serialconsole-1152
>> SL_enable_serialconsole-192
>> SL_enable_serialconsole-384
>> SL_enable_serialconsole
>> SL_enable_serialconsole-96
>> SL_no_colorls
>> SL_password_for_singleuser
>>

>> The 'SL_desktop_tweaks' added a terminal to the menu bar, in SL7 this is
>> already done by upstream.
>>
>> The 'SL_password_for_singleuser' required the root password for single user
>> mode, in SL7 this is already done by upstream.
>>
>> This leaves 'SL_enable_serialconsole' and 'SL_no_colorls'.
>>

>> With SL7 the terminal seems to be very good a detecting support for the ASCII
>> controls which set the colors.  Is this still something the community wants?
>>

>> With SL7 the serial consoles are very easy to setup.  Simply add:
>>
>> GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND='serial --speed=9600 --unit=0'
>> GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="$GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT serial"
>> GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="$GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT serial"
>> GRUB_TERMINAL="$GRUB_TERMINAL serial"
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX console=tty0 console=/dev/ttyS0,9600"
>>
>> to /etc/sysconfig/grub
>>
>> Anaconda (the installer) does this for you automatically if the serial options
>> are set with kickstart.
>>
>> What are the various feelings here?  Make these rpms, don't make them?
>>
>> Pat
>>

> Personally, never heard of them, and generally configuration by rpm installation seems like not the right way to go.  But I'm a small user…

I concur that configuration by tweak packages is not a clean way to configure machines.
For what it is worth Debian Policy prohibits one package from changing the configuration files of another package.
The sound reasoning behind the Debain Policy would, in my opinion, also apply to Scientific Linux.

Regards
Alex Owen

—
https://github.com/raowen/conlog - Open Source IPMI Console Server and Logger