SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2014 12:43:20 +0200
On 24/05/14 04:11, ToddAndMargo wrote:

> Seems I have already look at 5353 once before.  From
> one of my penetration reports:
>
>      Port 5353/udp (zeroconf) is registered to the Link
>      Local Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR) service.
>      It is part of how Windows computers identify themselves
>      to each other on a local area network and is part of
>      the normal operation of the Windows XP Operating System.
>      Further information can be found at:
>           https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLMNR

mDNS can be used to much more as well when combing it with DNS-SD [1], like
telling other hosts what kind of services each boxes provides.  mDNS coupled
with DNS-SD is quite a beast, avahi-daemon provides the same functionality on
Linux boxes as well.

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_configuration_networking#Service_discovery>

But it's also possible to provide DNS-SD using a normal DNS server as well,
which can be suitable to announce services on servers you don't want to have
avahi-daemon running.

It can surely be quite handy, but if you're concerned about security [2] it
surely has it challenges there too.  I generally block port 5353 (tcp and udp)
on all my boxes when they're not on a network I fully trust.  And I also
carefully configure avahi-daemon (/etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf) too, if I want
avahi-daemon running.

[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_configuration_networking#Security_issues>

--
kind regards,