SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2014 18:01:27 -0700
On 05/19/2014 05:34 PM, Brandon Vincent wrote:
> On 05/19/2014 05:00 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Anyone know if there is a problem plugging your
>> USB2 keyboard and mouse into a USB3 port when
>> installing SL 6.5?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

> Todd,
>
> Where are you having problems in the install exactly? Typically, add-on
> USB cards do not function properly outside of an operating system (e.g.
> in the DVD SYSLINUX menu).
>
> I just tried hooking up a keyboard and mouse to a USB 3.0 add-on card
> and the Anaconda installer recognized both peripherals without error.
>
> Ideally, you should use the on-board USB ports for installation.
>
> Brandon Vincent

Hi Brandon,

System is still in the design phase.  Most motherboards
today come with a combination of USB2 and USB3 ports.
I have never done a Linux install with USB3 ports yet.

The reason why I asked, is that your BIOS, including UEFI,
will read your keyboard and mouse just fine in a SUB port.
When installing Windows 7, on the other hard, the installer
won't read your keyboard and mouse if it is in a USB3 port.

Very confusing, as you were just using your keyboard and
mouse in BIOS, so you know they work.  And then, after
installed Windows 7, USB3 doesn't work until you install
their drivers, and after installing your drivers, you have
to wait for them to load, which is a real gas when you go
to enter your password.

Anyway, I am asking here as I do realize that Linux is
about 1000 times better thought out than Windows.  And,
I think I saw a USB3 only motherboard that look sweet.

I am rambling ...

Many thanks,
-T

Wish I had more Linux customers, but finding them
is difficult.  And, getting a Windows user off of
Windows is like getting a drug addict off of crack
cocaine.

--
Computers are like air conditioners.