SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2014 05:53:41 -0400
On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 9:23 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 05/18/2014 11:38 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> Motherboard battery? Can you boot an Ubuntu Live CD, because those
>> tend to have more recent kernels than SL, and more stable ones than
>> Fedora.
>>

> Hi Niko,
>
> Thank you! I don't think I have ever changed its
> battery either.
>
> This only happens when the machine has been off for a day
> or more.  So, you may be on to something.  I will go into
> bios and check to see it the date is all messed up.  Maybe
> change the $1.35 battery anyway, just because it is really
> cheap to do.  (I change those batteries for free for my
> customers -- a nice customer relations gesture.)

Why do so many nice people misspell my name? It's "Nico", short for Ignacio.

Yeah, sounds like the battery. The various capacitors can keep charges
on relevant low power circuitry going for a while, especially the
bulkier electrolytic caps. I don't get to play much with hardware
anymore, sadly, but we could have some *long* talks about capacitor
behavior under extremely low load.