SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2014

From:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2014 10:38:44 -0500
We have a bunch of new hardware here at Fermilab on which the 2.6.32
series of kernels that come with EL6/SL6 is no longer stable and we are
looking for
an upstream-supported 3.x kernel.  that will hopefully be the big win for
us.

Steve Timm

On Thu, 15 May 2014, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> The RHEL 7 Public Release Candidate has been out since April 21.  Our
>> complete guess is June or early July.  So "This redefining the OS" sounds
>> probable.  Only guessing .
>
> There are enough significant layout differences, especially the
> wholesale switch to systemd and the replacement of "/bin" with a
> symlink to "/usr/bin" that it's going to create a lot of cross
> compatibility and software porting issues. I'm not looking forward to
> that part. I'm also afraid to see that I've not yet seen a single
> reason to *want* it, other than updated libraries for third party
> software such as perl modules.

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
[log in to unmask]  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Fermilab Scientific Computing Division, Scientific Computing Services Quad.
Grid and Cloud Services Dept., Associate Dept. Head for Cloud Computing