SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2014 20:59:49 -0400
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The RHEL 7 Public Release Candidate has been out since April 21.  Our
> complete guess is June or early July.  So "This redefining the OS" sounds
> probable.  Only guessing .

There are enough significant layout differences, especially the
wholesale switch to systemd and the replacement of "/bin" with a
symlink to "/usr/bin" that it's going to create a lot of cross
compatibility and software porting issues. I'm not looking forward to
that part. I'm also afraid to see that I've not yet seen a single
reason to *want* it, other than updated libraries for third party
software such as perl modules.