SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2014

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2014 14:00:30 -0400
On 05/07/2014 09:58 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 05/06/2014 10:33 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> ... What is the default GUI file manager (that allows an end user to
>> "point and click" on an executable file to execute the application)
>> that can be invoked from a remote terminal?
> You can invoke nautilus remotely in either 'spatial' mode or 'file
> manager mode.'
> You may also want to look at the ssh documentation and read up on the
> difference between the '-X' command line switch and the '-Y' command
> line switch.

Also note that nautilus invoked in this way won't be able to access
'network' resources.  However, there is a way, and that is to not
directly launch nautilus, but use 'dbus-launch' to launch it.  So, for
'file manager' mode with URI's like dav://, sftp://, etc working you
would need:
dbus-launch nautilus --browser &

This works; I'm using it right now with a remote server doing a copy of
a 50GB or so tree of mp3 audio clips out of a Plone website to the
straight filesystem using WebDAV.  Not exactly fast, but it is working.
Yes, this could be done in other ways, but since I was on this topic
already today, I thought I'd try it out.