SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2014

From:
Mahmood Naderan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mahmood Naderan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2014 08:04:12 -0700
>Hmmm, yes, it is possible, using iSCSI.
OK I will try that. Thanks

Regards,
Mahmood

On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:38 PM, Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On 05/07/2014 01:12 AM, Mahmood Naderan wrote:

> Is it possible to add a network drive to existing LVM? I have created
> a group and have added three local drives. Now I want to add a remote
> disk from another node. The remote node has an additional hard drive
> and is mounted to /arch (remote node)
>
> Is that possible? How? All examples I see are trying to add extra
> local drives and not remote drives.

Hmmm, yes, it is possible, using iSCSI.

In order to do this correctly you would want the machine, that has the
additional drives, set up to be an iSCSI target, and then use the iSCSI
initiator on the first machine to attach to the disks; you can then add
those iSCSI disks to the volume group.  I would use dedicated Gigabit
Ethernet NICs and point-to-point connections rather than trying to use
the existing ethernet ports, too.  Oh, and you wouldn't have it mounted
on the second machine as such.

No, I can't give you a step-by-step, you'll have to do a bit of research
and you really really need to read up on and understand what iSCSI
brings to the party.  I have an IA-64 box (SGI Altix) running CentOS 5.9
(my own hand-rebuild, bootstrapped up from SL CERN 5.4 IA-64) using an
EMC Clariion array's LUNs over iSCSI, so I have a bit of experience with
the initiator portion of the equation, but none at all with the target
portion, but I know that it does exist.