SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2014

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2014 09:58:47 -0400
On 05/06/2014 10:33 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> ... What is the default GUI file manager (that allows an end user to
> "point and click" on an executable file to execute the application)
> that can be invoked from a remote terminal?
You can invoke nautilus remotely in either 'spatial' mode or 'file
manager mode.'

To invoke in spatial mode, issue the command 'nautilus &' at the
remote's shell prompt.  The & of course puts it into the background,
although many GUI programs take liberties with stderr that can be
annoying.  The & also keeps your remote shell usable for other commands
as needed.

To invoke 'file manager mode' use 'nautilus --browser &' instead.  To
see other command line options (there aren't that many) read the man
page for nautilus.

While your mileage may vary, I find that, if I'm just running one or two
remote programs, ssh X tunnelling works better than a full remote
desktop like NX or x2go, especially on really slow WAN links (I do this
all the time for remote support of CentOS workstations on DSL circuits
with autossh-maintained reverse tunnels..... a tunnelled X app comes up
quicker and is usable more rapidly than a full remote desktop is; I can
have, for instance, system-config-firewall up, running, and changes made
(but maybe not applied yet) before the initial remote desktop redraw is
complete with NX, for the most part.  Further, I can move that
system-config-firewall anywhere on my local X server display with little
to no redraw lag; try that with NX.  (NX and the others have their
places; remotely running one or two X clients is not one of them, IMO).

You may also want to look at the ssh documentation and read up on the
difference between the '-X' command line switch and the '-Y' command
line switch.