SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2014

From:
"James M. Pulver" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James M. Pulver
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2014 12:14:43 +0000
We're actually using X2Go - an OSS continuation of FreeNX as far as I can tell. No more going to nomachine.com at all - they have their own clients you can download etc. It works pretty well once you install the fonts manually into the embedded xserver or point to a local xserver with the fonts installed (this is on Windows. I think the other platforms already have the fonts)...

I tried XRDP here, and had nothing but weirdness, which is too bad as RDP wouldn't be a bad solution. But X2Go client is really slick - you can have it run a whole desktop, you can have it run a specific app, and you can have it use rdesktop to proxy an rdp connection to a Windows computer if you don't want to set up VPN or an RDP gateway server for that... I'm really impressed with the flexibility.

Also, once you get the client set up on Windows - you can easily zip the entire program files folder and then pass it around to run anywhere without installing, which is also nice!
--
James Pulver
CLASSE Computer Group