SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2014 19:33:10 -0700
Thanks for the information.  At my institution, we were told by the
university network security group that after ssh -X, one still needed to
"activate" X for the session by xinit or the like for security reasons.
Evidently, the persons were thinking of some other environment (MS
Windows perhaps?).  Indeed, xeyes and firefox both work fine from the
remote host to the local client workstation.

A question:  as a regular X window manager desktop from the remote
machine is not displayed (that is, the pull down menu "Applications"
under Gnome or the equivalent from KDE), is there any mechanism to get
such a menu, etc., displayed?  What is the default GUI file manager
(that allows an end user to "point and click" on an executable file to
execute the application) that can be invoked from a remote terminal?

Yasha Karant