SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2014 12:56:26 -0700
On 05/06/2014 12:38 PM, Serguei Mokhov wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I do love my LUKS sticks.
>>
>> Any of you guys have a favorite way of reading
>> Linux LUKS encrypted flash drives over on the
>> Windows side?
>
> 1. Install VirtualBox on Windows
> 2. Install your favorite Linux distro with VB extensions in VB VM
> 3. Mount your stick in the Linux VM and use luks from there
>
> If needed to share the files between the Linux guest and Windows host
> off the luks partition, use the VB extensions to mount a Linux
> directory as shared directory in Windows.

Hi Serguei,

I am a Linux office.  I have 12 VM's at last count.
I use Red Hat's KVM (kernel virtual machine).
With KVM, I can bugzilla the developers and get
bugs fixed.  With Oracle, they ignore you until
your customer fires you, which have happened to me.
Then they ignore you some more.  Then four or more
years later, they ask you if you are still having
the problem.

My entire hard drive and all my backup drives are
encrypted, so my customer's and my sensitive data
is properly protected.

I use these LUKS flash drives at customer sites,
which in 95% Windows.  I am stuck with the
unsigned drivers hassles with Free OTFE, which
drives me a bit nutty.

So, I really do need a Windows native solution.

I was hoping that if any of your guys carry
around LUKS flash drive, that you had come
up with a good method of sharing with Windows.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.