SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2014

From:
Mattieu Puel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mattieu Puel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2014 23:19:17 +0200
> I think this is the wrong approach. If the repos are of 'questionable'
> quality for every day use then they should be disabled (enabled=0) in
> the repo file.
>
> If you want to use them manually (which from what I understand is why
> Mattieu wrote the patch?) they should be enabled with the yum
> --enablerepo option. ie:
> 	yum --enablerepo=dogerepo install wow much-broken
>
> If seems like the patch / new feature is more to add a broken workflow
> to autoupdate.

Mmm, this may be a broken workflow, or at least a non-academic one :)

The point is that the sysadmins which install servers and ensure that
the base OS is up to date are not the same people than the one installing
services on top of the base OS and managing it.

Those services admins thus may install new repositories and sysadmins
cannot be sure that those repositories are disabled (which I agree would
be the right approach).

--
Mattieu Puel
Sysadmins team manager