SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2014

From:
Paul Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2014 08:29:14 -0400
 Content analysis details:   (-1.0 points, 5.0 required)

  pts rule name              description
 -0.0 SHORTCIRCUIT           Not all rules were run, due to a shortcircuited rule
 -1.0 ALL_TRUSTED            Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
Received-SPF: None (MAIL03V-SMTP01.fnal.gov: [log in to unmask] does not
 designate permitted sender hosts)

On 04/14/2014 03:59 PM, zxq9 wrote:
> On Monday 14 April 2014 19:00:47 David Crick wrote:
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/592723/
>>
>> "So the goal for CentOS is to create a next-generation platform that
>> is supported for a longer period of time than Fedora is. Ten years
>> would be good, but most people just want something longer than 13
>> months, he said, and *2–3 YEARS SEEMED TO BE A SWEET SPOT*."
>>
>> (emphasis added by me).
>>
>> Pertinent question: are SL users "most people" ?
>
> Main-line CentOS would be positioned to compete with Ubuntu for desktop
> mindshare (and thus developer mindshare), and not really be in the server
> space. That is a critical area of failing competition for RedHat (no Fedora/RH
> Steam, for example). It also castrates the server-farm threat posed by CentOS.
> Smart move by RedHat.

You are correct, Ubuntu has a lot of mind share, most of our grad
students default to Ubuntu LTS on their desktop when they have to
choose. They rarely choose CentOS or RedHat, unless required a
application requires it.

How does the threat of Ubuntu Server coupled with seemingly new
continuous upgrade cycle brought on by cloud computing?

Ubuntu is the number OS used in OpenStack deployments. I am sure that
must be hitting RedHat somewhere.

> Of course, if SL gets its sources through CentOS not RH directly then this
> could be a difficult move for downstream projects like SL (after all, this is
> "free as in gutter water"). I could easily imagine that SL might become the
> "LTS" CentOS spin or something similar (note that this is pure conjecture --
> don't let that set the rumor-bugs off).

Why can't SL continue to build from the RH sources, Oracle just shipped
their Oracle Linux 7 Beta?

> Anyway, there is too little concrete information to speculate much more than
> business interest. I feel as certain that the SL team will navigate this new
> terrain wisely as I am certain that neither RedHat nor CentOS wants to see SL
> be stranded.

You are absolutely right here...not enough information here.

--
Paul Griffith | Computer Systems Coordinator
Electrical Engineering & Computer Science | Lassonde School of Engineering