SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2014

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:21:39 +1000
On 29/04/14 06:53, Scott Dowdle wrote:
> Steven Haigh,

You know, 6 months ago I would have agreed with you. When I took a good
solid look at what I use (across everything!) - the majority of projects
don't care what version of apache / php / library it runs with.

Up to EL6, there was a lot of churn in the PHP space (and a few others)
that required updating from EL5 to EL6 for PHP / apache versions etc -
but that isn't the case anymore.

The ONLY software that I can't run on newer distros is IBMs TSM backup
system - and the version currently running is EOL at the end of this
month. TSM seemed to lose the plot after 5.5 and add a whole heap of
stuff that makes it even less efficient. As such, I'm currently testing
replacements.

Don't get me wrong, I think I'll still run EL6 for my Xen Dom0's and use
the packages I publish (http://xen.crc.id.au) - but everything else from
mail to voip to web to routing seems to be just at home with arch. I
think Xen is making a comeback in EL7 which will make that effort
redundent - but knowing RedHat, they'll push libvirt down your throat
(urgh).

While I know there are some definate usage cases, I believe these are
getting fewer and fewer.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]