SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2014

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:18:48 -0500
On Mon, 14 Apr 2014, David Crick wrote:

> http://lwn.net/Articles/592723/
>
> "So the goal for CentOS is to create a next-generation platform that
> is supported for a longer period of time than Fedora is. Ten years
> would be good, but most people just want something longer than 13
> months, he said, and *2–3 YEARS SEEMED TO BE A SWEET SPOT*."
>
> (emphasis added by me).
>
> Pertinent question: are SL users "most people" ?

I talked to Karsten Wade about this.  Here is his response.

Connie,

Right, thanks for the follow-up. That paraphrase missed a bit of context.

I was talking about how variants can support their variant community
for as long as /they/ see fit - SIGs aren't tied to the core distro
lifecycle  (which follows the RHEL release roadmap) for the code they
maintain. This allows the variants to set a pace that works for
/their/ community. Combined with the slower pace of CentOS updates, it
is easy for a community to support a variant for two or three years.
This links up with the sweet spot between fast-as-Fedora and
long-lived-as-plain-CentOS-core.

So, the "most people" in that paraphrase are the people looking for
updated code layered on top of a slow-moving platform. It's a
most-people-within-a-subset-of-all-people, if that makes sense.

This kind of confusion is happening because people are hearing the
excitement we have about the new SIGs and their variants, which
shouldn't be confused with CentOS core. The CentOS Core SIG continues
to closely follow the RHEL roadmap.

- - Karsten
- --
Karsten 'quaid' Wade        .^\          CentOS Doer of Stuff
http://TheOpenSourceWay.org    \  http://community.redhat.com
@quaid (identi.ca/twitter/IRC)  \v'             gpg: AD0E0C41

-Connie Sieh