SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2014

From:
Scott Dowdle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Dowdle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2014 09:19:53 -0600
Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Ubuntu is the number OS used in OpenStack deployments. I am sure that
> must be hitting RedHat somewhere.

Dell is switching from OpenStack Mesa (based on Ubuntu) to OpenStack RedHat OSP... so it should swing around the other way in the next few months.  The main reason for that is because Red Hat allocated developer to OpenStack and has been the largest contributor for some time.  They have committed to OpenStack and the industry is very happy that Red Hat has decided to provide leadership and development in OpenStack.  OpenStack is perceived as overly complex and somewhat hard to deploy and with Red Hat getting into it, hopefully that will change.

While Ubuntu might be popular in the Desktop and Server space... they seem to be primarily focusing on mobile now.  Canonical seems no closer to becoming profitable than they were 5 years ago... and all of those folks using Ubuntu haven't really in that regard.

Regarding that comment about "2-3 years" being a "sweet spot".  I think that was just a comment added by the author and not really a reflection of any pending change in support policy.  But seriously, when a new RHEL comes out... and you've had time to get used to it... aren't you wanting to get rid of your older stuff and switch to it?  I know I am.  Just because it is supported for 5-7 years doesn't mean I want to use each given release that long. :)  Rebasing some desktop apps and adding the Software Collections has helped some.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street