SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 19:10:16 +0100
On 05/03/14 18:23, Boryeu Mao wrote:
> I did use qemu-system-x86_64 on the SL65 image.  I will first try
> qemu-kvm, and then (as a lst resort) virt-manager and libvirtd - I had
> to do quite a bit work to get libvirt going when I was using
> Debian/Knoppix, and the relative simplicity of qemu-system-x86_64
> (just 'qemu-system-x86_64 -cdrom CDROM.iso') was quite nice.  In any
> event the advantage of libvirt may be worth the work.

My experience with virt-manager on Fedora, RHEL and SL the last 3-4
years have been that it's quite capable as a desktop virtualisation
tool.  The pacakges available out of the box have sane default configs
to "just get started (tm)".

If you want to use more advanced features, virsh is the command line
interface to libvirt.  But having a little idea of the features
available in virt-manager can help understanding virsh better.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth