SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2014

Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 08:03:11 +0900
On Thursday 20 March 2014 17:57:56 Vasili Semenov wrote:
> I cannot complete the installation of proprietary video driver
> for AMD Radeon HD 8490 video card (DELL OPTIPLEX 9020)
> because the installer requests for kernel headers and gcc tool.
>
> Could you, please, advise how to resolve the problem?

There is a community wiki for the AMD Catalyst drivers with the steps listed
here:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Scientific_Linux#Scientific_Linux_6x

The relevant line is:
yum -y install gcc freetype kernel-devel zlib libgcc libstdc++ fontconfig rpm-
build

Elrepo also maintains a fairly recent package of Catalyst which is more
convenient to use than the driver build package (neither is hard, though).

If you have a customized kernel you may have better luck with AMD's driver
building package.