SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2014 18:03:21 -0700
On 03/18/2014 10:27 AM, Steve Gaarder wrote:
> I'm looking at getting some machines based on the Intel Z87 chipset.
> Has anyone tried SL6 on this?  I'm wondering how well the graphics and
> ethernet work with the stock SL drivers.
>
> thanks,
>
> Steve Gaarder
> System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
> Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA

Hi Steve,

I have some Windows machines out there with them.
I used Xfce Fedora Live CD on them without an issue.

Have you looked at Supermicro's Mini-ATX X10SLL-F?
You can use a xeon processor, which gives you ECC
memory support.  (I personal opinion is that
non-ecc memory is unethical.)

I add a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 and a Asus Xonar
DGX PCI Express 5.1 Channel Gaming Audio Card.

The 16x video card work fine in the 8x slot.  You
can only notice a difference if you run CAD
on it.

If your monitors support HDMI sound, drop the sound
card.

Here is a trick: order the cheapest processor
for what you want (i use the E3-1220) and
put your money towards an Intel Cherryville (530)
SSD drive.  The speed difference is incredible.

Don't by a non-enterprise level SSD.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.