SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2014

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:15:20 -0400
On Saturday 15 March 2014 6:31 pm, you wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > That Alan didn't include, because if that's Alan Bartlett from Samba
> > work he's *brilliant* and probably already knows all this stuff, is
>
> Err, you mean Andrew Bartlett from Samba?  Alan Bartlett is a
> co-founder of the ELRepo Project.
>
> > that the "/etc/grub.conf" file is a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.con. If
> > you edit it with some editors, it will replace the symlink with your
> > new file, and not change the *real* file in /boot/grub/grub.conf which
> > is the one actually used. Enthusiastic chaos will ensue.
>
> I edit /etc/grub.conf all the time. It's just easier to type than the
> real file name. And editing /etc/grub.conf does change the
> /boot/grub/grub.conf file.
>
> Akemi

Thanks for all the schemes but my agricultural fix to problem is to make a
dated back up of grub.config file and use nvi to edit file and just set
default to kernel we had been using.

Unfortunately that is not the end of the problem.
We can ping our dns server so we know the network is working.  ssh allows us
to connect to all boxes on the network.   We can log into router with browser
so we are know hardware is OK.   Other boxes running 5.10 can
access "google.com"   For security they are in the promiscuous mode.

We are not able to launch "google" or "dogpile" search engines from this box.
We cannot use browser to view our own website.
 We suspect that it is a security problem with 6.5, when we installed 6.4 we
were able to select security level during the setup.   With the simple
upgrade selection we assumed that it would stay the way it was.

Any suggestions on where to look.

Thanks
Larry Linder