SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2014

From:
Boryeu Mao <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Boryeu Mao <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2014 09:33:41 -0800
Summary of building cloop

The build from the alioth source tar (thanks for the pointer Vladimir)
turns out to be rather straightforward, with only one minor hurdle
when the configuration script quit with an error message that 'the
zlib library is required'.  I was stumped because rpm query showed
that the package zlib is installed in the system (livecd-iso-to-disk
from SL-65-x86_64-liveDVD.iso).  After a bit of wild goose chase I
discovered serendipitously that the missing party was actually zlib.h
(in package zlib-devel).  The build went on uneventfully afterwards,
for both the kernel module and the 3 utility programs.  For modprobe
to find the module, I placed it in /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/kernel/misc/.

On 2/28/14, Boryeu Mao <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Thanks Vladimir for the information.  I have a lot of data in
> compressed iso format built in Knoppix that I will need to access,
> thus the need of cloop module under SL.  The source code (as you
> pointed me to) would be the next best thing.  Most of the kernel devel
> stuff should be in place (as I have just managed to build the
> proprietary AMD gpu driver), so I will soldier on and see how far I
> could go on my own following the directions at the knoppix links you
> indicated.  Your help is much appreciated.
>
> Boryeu
>
> On 2/28/14, Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hi Boryeu Mao!
>>
>>  On 2014.02.28 at 11:24:56 -0600, Boryeu Mao wrote next:
>>
>>> Newly switching from Debian-based Knoppix, I am in need of the kernel
>>> module
>>> 'cloop' (for compressed loop back devices) to complete the transition to