SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2014 21:13:06 -0500
Grab the latest live Ubuntu live DVD or CD. See if *that* can talk to
the ethernet port, since the kernels tend to be more recent than the
industry grade, stable kernels in Scientific Linux. But "after a power
failure on a clear day" sounds like hardware failure.. I assume you;ve
tested the cables and upstream network ports?

If the chipset is toast, which can happen, a decent PCI/E or even old
PCI network card should support GigE quite easily. If you need network
alive while testing kernels, USB network devices can be quite handy.