SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2014

Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2014 10:20:48 -0600
On 03/29/2014 02:48 PM, Pritam Khedekar wrote:
> Bro just install normally and then try to config RAID 10 ... I guess
> you are looking for virtual RAID isn't it?
>

> On 3/29/2014 5:19 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Stephen John Smoogen
>> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>> This is going to depend on a couple of factors:
>>>
>>> 1) If you are using SciLin-5 there may be a limit to the size of
>>> disk that
>>> it can use.
>>> 2) If you are using SciLin-6 it should be able to work because I
>>> believe it
>>> uses gparted but it might only use that if your system booted in
>>> UEFI mode.
>>> In BIOS mode or if it uses fdisk then it can only be used for disks no
>>> larger than 2TB.
>>> --
>>> Stephen J Smoogen.
>> Not 100% sure but if the 500GB drives are set up to be /boot (msdos
>> partition), then the other drives can be partitioned using GPT. If
>> this is plausible, then UEFI mode is not required and GPT allows disks
>> larger than 2TB.
>>
>> Akemi

Thanks everyone for the advice, here's my plan at the moment:

1) install the OS only on the 2 500GB drives (in a RAID 1 config)

2) then once it's up and running use something like gdisk to create the
4TB partitions...

Question, can someone point me to a how to per taking the 6 4TB drives
and doing the following once they are all partitioned:

- set each drive as a raid partition
- create a single RAID 10 device from the partitions
- have the volume auto mount (via fstab?) at boot time

Thanks in advance