SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2014

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2014 09:32:03 -0400
On 03/25/2014 07:14 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> RHEL 6.1 -->  SL 6.1
> RHEL 6.2 -->  SL 6.2
> where do you get the sources for 6.1 or 6.2 given that they are not
> published on ftp.redhat.com ?

Hi, Karanbir.

The 6.1 and 6.2 source is still out there, for instance
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/389-ds-base-1.2.8.2-1.el6_1.3.src.rpm
is a 6.1 source RPM.  SL has built up their own source tree, much like
centos has with vault, and then as security updates are released they're
built against the different point releases so that people can stay with,
say, 6.3 but still get security updates built against that tree.  There
are numerous reasons to do so, although no one here has replied to my
query for those reasons.  Perhaps asking the same question in the users
list would produce different results, but I was hoping to hear from the
developers as to why they build it this way.

Again, in a nutshell:  SL rebuilds security updates on each point
release, and as Pat has mentioned they run repoclose on that so that
they can pull in any essential dependencies into that point release.  So
if someone stayed at 6.0 for whatever reason (and, again, I'm not
interested in debating why they might do that; it is assumed for my
purposes that those reasons are valid) they can do so and have a 6.0
that has all available security updates (with their deps) installed and
in essence be fully up to date in terms of the security errata.

This is a key difference between CentOS and SL, and for many it is a
value-add, even though it could potentially break strict binary
compatibility with upstream.