SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2014

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:03:51 -0400
On 03/25/2014 08:48 AM, Andras Horvath wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 16:55:25 -0500
> Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Point releases (7.1, etc.) might disappear. Expect them to not.
> Would this mean that the support of the minor branches would end and only the most recent minor version would get the long term support? If so, then I strongly believe that one of the most precious advantages of SL would disappear - compared to CentOS AFAIK.
This is one of the key distinctions between SL and CentOS, and I would
imagine is more than a small amount of work on the SL team, especially
as the number of point releases increase.  I would find it interesting
to see who is using this capability and specific reasons why they need
(rather than want) this capability (specific drivers for specialized
hardware, etc).  I'm not interested in debating the reasons why, just
collating them.

I would further find it interesting to hear from the SL developers on
how much time is spent in this aspect of putting out SL updates for old
point releases.

And perhaps these things have already been answered somewhere of which
I'm not aware.