SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2014

From:
Shatil Rafiullah <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shatil Rafiullah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2014 12:18:19 -0700
When I managed hosts at an energy company, we used to do the
same--we'd wait till, say, 6.3 was out, figure out what the last
snapshot of 6.2 was, test it out, and then upgrade from 6.1 "final" to
6.2 "final".

Figuring out what constituted 6.2 on its "final" day was an
interesting challenge. There was at the time (and likely today) no
documentation on it, since RHEL is a rolling distribution. I used
errata between the release dates to get the package names, and then
created a list of all the packages that formed each dot release. When
upgrading systems, I'd manually install just host hand-picked package
names at those specific versions.

Another option would've been figuring out the sensitive or high-impact
packages, blacklisting them through Yum, and providing them through a
curated repository. This way, you'd get security patches for the bulk
of your packages without the impact to your production systems
something like device mapper or kernel updates might have.
Shatil (@shatil)