SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2014 18:16:12 -0500
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 5:58 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 02/09/2014 11:45 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>>
>>> My toolchain for building a complete Samba 4.1.4 on Scientific Linux 6
>>> is available at https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo.  It's set up to
>>> set up a local yum repository for the necessary dependencies, and uses
>>> the EPEL published tool "mock" to build the toolchain in a clean local
>>> environment without accidental and incompatible system integrations.
>>

> Hi Nico,
>
> What was your reason for doing it yourself, versus SerNet:
> http://www.enterprisesamba.com/samba/

In my opinion, my spec files are cleaner, more explicit about
dependencies and options, and more compatible with the curren
tupstream RHEL, Sckentific Linux, and Fedora environments. I also
publish the necessary components to build up the "mock" toolchain to
build the dependencies. And I'm the author of the first published
ports of Samba to SunOS 4.1.x, so I've been at it a while as a useful
hobby.  I also find it irritating as futz to have to register to
download the SerfNet packages.

I've submitted some patches to SerfNet in the past: they don't
necessarily agree with my tweaks or RHEL's tweaks, and I've never
heard back from them.