SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:52:24 -0800
On 02/10/2014 01:28 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 10:19 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On 02/09/2014 02:45 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>>> Nope, it's in Fedora and RHEL 7 beta and places .like my github repo.
>>>

>> What would you think of just doing a fedora 20 server,
>> instead of suffering with all the out of date stuff
>> on RHEL?
>
> I can't hope to stabilize servers for Fedora. The churn of packages
> and interdependencies is just too fast, and Fedora releases expire too
> fast for the business environments I deal with (such as the
> international software deployment I'm up with right now, which is why
> I'm up at 4:00 AM)

Hi Nico,

Depends on what you mean by "stabilize".  I am the one
who reported the bug in the CentOS 5 where cutting a
DVD corrupted your hard drive (Red Hat found it and fixed
it for me -- try that with Redmond's stuff).  I almost
lost my business -- twice!  (I, fortunately, am a backup
whore and love dump and restore.)

I have never considered RHEL to be a stable platform
(cut a little DVD, trash a little hard drive, almost
lose your livelihood).  RHEL for me has always been
that it is an excellent enterprise platform.

The out-of-date drives me a bit nuts: samba 4.1.4 being
a good example.  I understand why they do it.  I just
think they should get off the butts and move a bit faster.
Criminy, I can't even run the latest Xfce on it!

I have to download the Firefox and Thunderbird binaries,
so I can support my Windows customers.  And I don't buy
the backport garbage.  They backport when they feel like it.
For Instance, is your Firefox running TLS 1.1 or 1.2?
There is a reason for keeping your browser updated!

I downloaded and installed Samba 4.1.3 in a FC20 VM.
Those turkeys left out all the active directory stuff!

Guess I will have to migrate my Samba 3 on my host sl6.5
to Samba 4.  Probably time anyway.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.