SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2014 19:30:22 +0100
On 10/02/14 04:19, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 02/09/2014 02:45 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I take it old-out-of-date (SL) isn't supporting Samba 4 yet.
>>
>> Nope, it's in Fedora and RHEL 7 beta and places .like my github repo.
>>

> What would you think of just doing a fedora 20 server,
> instead of suffering with all the out of date stuff
> on RHEL?

I did that once.  As it took quite a long time before CentOS 6 came out
(before I got to know SL, but SL6 was also not shipped).  It worked,
kind of.  But would I do it again?  Probably not.

I installed Fedora 11, and it was regularly tons of updates.  At some
point I did an upgrade to Fedora 12 (with massive downtime, due to the
Fedora upgrade process - at that time, Anaconda could upgrade via the
ISO image).  But after that, I stayed far too long on Fedora 12.  This
server was a host for KVM guest hosts.

But I also stayed on Fedora 12 on purpose, as EL6 was based on F12-F13.
 So what I ended up doing was a scratch install of SL6 on some of the
free space I had on the LVM (on a completely separate VG).  Reused /boot
without reformatting it (so I could fallback to F12 if needed).  Copied
over the needed /etc configs from F12 to SL6, and modified them as
needed too (not too much work, but took some time).  And then booted SL6
... And that actually worked out far better than I ever dared hoping for.

Having this said.  I did this process on my private laptop (which also
had been stuck on F12 on purpose too), where I also run KVM guests.  So
I gained quite some experience and felt comfortable enough to dare this
on a production server.

I don't regret moving to SL6 at all.  So if you have time to wait for
SL7, wait for it.  If you're in a pinch and must have this server
running yesterday, consider this approach, but I would probably stay on
Fedora 19 for a little while - but I would probably try to stay cool as
long as possible.

The "good" thing with Fedora right now is that they're figuring out the
process of Fedora.next.  So Fedora 21 will most likely not come at
"normal" schedule (which would be sometime around Q4 probably), but
somewhat later.  Which means F19 will not be EOL for a little bit longer.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth