SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
"James M. Pulver" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James M. Pulver
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2014 13:32:01 +0000
I am very skeptical of cloud offerings. I run my own e-mail server at home using Citadel on SL6, which does do calendaring and e-mail, but I don't use calendaring. It's integrated in the web UI, but the UI is pretty 90sish.

I would recommend staying away from Office365 / Microsoft's cloud e-mail service. The two organizations where I know people who have moved to it both find it far inferior to previous in-house e-mail with more frequent downtime and unexplained hours long e-mail lags almost weekly.

There are plenty of e-mail services available, and I would probably have gone with Rackspace e-mail if I didn't want to cheaply host multiple e-mail addresses at home (the cost is not prohibitive for a business however... It's really not prohibitive for a home user either, just running a server is cheaper for my situation for personal e-mail).

--
James Pulver
CLASSE Computer Group