SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2014 17:45:18 -0500
On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Question: what do you see as an advantage of Samba's AD over
> just using Samba as an old fashioned Domain Controller?

Integrated support for DHCP/DNS/group management/host registration in
the existing AD, with commercial support and trained engineers
available to run it.

The Samba advantage is that the security is typically better, the DNS
is usually sane, the configurations are well documented and
intelligible, and one Linux engineer to maintain a complex setup is a
lot less expensive than hiring one AD engineer for each depatment in a
large environment.

> I take it old-out-of-date (SL) isn't supporting Samba 4 yet.

Nope, it's in Fedora and RHEL 7 beta and places .like my github repo.