SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2014 01:25:46 -0500
On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM, Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> info sec is not the problem it's a record keeping issue.

Info sec for email is *always* a problem. It's also critical to the
record keeping: the ability to re-route, or delete, or backfill email
needs to be handled. (Do not get me *started* on desires to backfill
email that never happened, or to silently tap people's email with or
without managerial permission! Switching to GMail made it possible for
me to say "can't be done!!!" and avoid responsibility for such
abuses.)

Fortunately, modern IMAP based email systems give easy ways to
transfer or replicate email wholesale ti alternative servers,
wholesale. Thank you, *gods* for the migration from POP based
services, which have mostly disappeared but stored all the folder
information on the client. For most clients, they can pretty much cut
and paste their old Exchange folders to a new IMAP environment.
*Migrating* from Exchange to the new environment takes time and
effort.

For folks recommending Zimbra or Zarafa, I'd be very curious how they
migrate data from Exchange clients. I'm sure that part's not just
"drop-in replacement".