SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2014 13:47:35 -0500
On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Nico
> I tend to agree with you there are so many inexpensive mail services
> out there now I haven't tried to do this kind of thing in many years.
> But its not an option for every one especially it you work for a large
> company then it can still be cheaper to do it in house or depending on
> the industry your company is involved in there may be regulatory
> reasons why SAAS is not an option for any thing considered a document
> of record like email.

I went through this at a finance company I worked with: I saw such
claims, and they all failed under review. The reliability and disaster
recovery and record keeping of GMail Apps was *better* than they'd
ever had, or could ever be expected to do, in house. And the security
was *better* than what the company had had, in-house for their
Exchange system. (I had some talks with the Exchange admins and the AD
admins about their security policies. It was pretty scary what they
did as a matter of course.)

"Messaging", like external DNS, is one of those services that anyone
can set up as a basic internal service, but can be done much more
robustly for a very modest fee, and leave your systems people and
developers to work on things that your company actually *wants* to be
doing.