SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:33:08 -0800
I have been attempting to find an application that will sound a buzzer
(presumably a synthesized sound through the audio system) when, in a
laptop, the battery becomes low or the mains power supply is
disconnected (and the machine has switched to battery power). The gnome
applet changes from a mains plug visible on the displayed icon to no
such plug, and then to another icon for a low battery; however, an
audible warning would be useful.  Note that such a warning should bypass
the normal sound system settings (e.g., I set mine to mute because of
audio enabled advertising pop-ups when using a web browser).  I enable
sound output only when I want to listen to an item.

Does anyone know of an application or application configuration to
provide this audible power warning?

Yasha  Karant