SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2014 03:28:43 +0400
Hi Boryeu Mao!

 On 2014.02.28 at 11:24:56 -0600, Boryeu Mao wrote next:

> Newly switching from Debian-based Knoppix, I am in need of the kernel module
> 'cloop' (for compressed loop back devices) to complete the transition to SL.
>  So far no luck in locating any rpm packages - any help or suggestions would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> System: SL-65-x86_64, HP pavilion g6 (AMD A6-4400M).

It's Knoppix-specific kernel module, you won't find it in (non live-cd)
distribution, I'm afraid. It's not useful except for specific way of
using live CD/DVD, and SL uses different technology for live media, so
cloop was never needed.

However Knoppix distributes that module under free license with
instructions to compile it. You have to understand what you're doing to
follow these instructions, though, as they aren't precise. Just in case,
you'll need kernel-devel package (besides normal development tools) to
compile a kernel module under SL.

Check out http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cloop
Latest version of module is at
http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/packages/cloop/