SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2014 23:18:11 -0500
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:50 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was about to untar the latest Libre Office to install
> their RPMSs.  It occurred to me that it would be awful
> convenient if "rpm" would read inside the tar ball
> all on its own.  Is there a way?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Not currently. RPM is a pretty specific format, and already compressed
quite well. Adding another interpretation layer to it seems unwise.

Tarballing them was done by Sun, especially with bundles like Java,
which they'd actually wripe in an executable bundle that tried to
force you to agree to their license before you unbundled the tarball.
They also had a bad habit of naming the RPM files things that bore no
resemblance to the actual RPM name, which used to drive me bananas.
(And yes, Oracle is now doing this with Java RPM bundles.)

Are they doing this with LibreOffice, too?