SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2014 21:36:40 -0500
It's probably the "Trusted Computing" chip. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Computing If that's what it is,
it's a hardware encryption/decryption/private key storage chip. In
theory, it can be used for security purposes like preventing
unauthorized kernels from being used to sneak past password
protection, or manipulating a BIOS to boot with unauthorized boot
media to scan your disk drive.

There's a great deal to dislike about the technology: Do check out the article.