SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2014 04:38:46 -0800
On 2014/02/20 03:21, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 19/02/14 15:08, jdow wrote:
>>>
>>> This is a known issue. You can find a workaround here:
>>>
>>> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58855
>>>
>>> This and some more useful info are in this CentOS wiki:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Virtualization/VirtualBox/CentOSguest
>>>
>>> Akemi
>>>

>> Thanks Akemi. I did discover where the ghc_OpenGL files were. Here's the
>> story.
>> There is a missing kernel file and perhaps a problem in the kernel source.
>>
>> Trying to install the virtual box extensions I ran across a misleading
>> error message about OpenGL not compiling. The machine I tried it on first
>> had OpenGL missing. I finally figured out it had never been configued for
>> epel. Half the problem was solved. But I got the same error. I traced back
>> to the build error:
>>         echo;                                                           \
>>          echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";               \
>>          echo "         include/linux/autoconf.h or
>> include/config/auto.conf are missing.";      \
>>          echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel
>> src to fix it.";  \
>>
>> So to save time I went looking for the kernel source and attempted
>> make oldconfig and make prepare. The latter failed. I am either missing
>> something interesting or the kernel source is missing something
>> interesting.
>>
>> [jdow@sl6 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64]$ sudo make oldconfig
>> scripts/kconfig/conf -o arch/x86/Kconfig
>> #
>> # configuration written to .config
>> #
>> [jdow@sl6 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64]$ sudo make prepare
>> scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
>>    CHK     include/linux/version.h
>>    CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
>>    SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
>> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `missing-syscalls'.  Stop.
>> make: *** [prepare0] Error 2
>> [jdow@sl6 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64]$
>>

>> So there may be two bugs here.
>>
>> First the kernel-devel includes do not have the autoconf file.
>>
>> Second trying to make prepare fails. (So does trying a subsequent "make
>> clean".
>
> Do you have the kernel-devel package installed at all?  I'd try that
> before doing manual kernel builds.  I believe that
>
> And btw ... don't compile things as root (unless explicitly told to by
> documentation).  That can completely mess up things, even though the
> kernel is probably one of the more safer packages to build.  Doing 'make
> install', however, requires root privileges.  But wait for root access
> until this point.

Kernel-devel is installed as are all the other required items. Somehow I got
one of the two virtual machines to work. The other is still semi-unhappy. The
3D stuff won't compile, still.

The information Akemi posted is what guided me towards the solution.

Re actually compiling the kernel I'm a tad reluctant to do that. But going
through make prep is no problem. The process has changed a little since the
last time I compiled a kernel to make sure a driver I wanted was installed.
I even contributed the fixes to the kernel that made the driver work right,
since I was the one of the designers for the data the driver had to parse
in order to work right.

{^_^}