SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 06:08:17 -0800
On 2014/02/19 01:59, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM, jdow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> What happened to it? It's really hard to get VirtualBox clients to work
>> without
>> OpenGL when you want to use the extra features. They won't compile because
>> OpenGL seems to be missing. And I don't find it in the usual suspect repos.
>
> This is a known issue. You can find a workaround here:
>
> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58855
>
> This and some more useful info are in this CentOS wiki:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Virtualization/VirtualBox/CentOSguest
>
> Akemi

Thanks Akemi. I did discover where the ghc_OpenGL files were. Here's the story.
There is a missing kernel file and perhaps a problem in the kernel source.

Trying to install the virtual box extensions I ran across a misleading
error message about OpenGL not compiling. The machine I tried it on first
had OpenGL missing. I finally figured out it had never been configued for
epel. Half the problem was solved. But I got the same error. I traced back
to the build error:
        echo;                                                           \
         echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";               \
         echo "         include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are
missing.";      \
         echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to
fix it.";  \

So to save time I went looking for the kernel source and attempted
make oldconfig and make prepare. The latter failed. I am either missing
something interesting or the kernel source is missing something interesting.

[jdow@sl6 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64]$ sudo make oldconfig
scripts/kconfig/conf -o arch/x86/Kconfig
#
# configuration written to .config
#
[jdow@sl6 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64]$ sudo make prepare
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
   CHK     include/linux/version.h
   CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
   SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `missing-syscalls'.  Stop.
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2
[jdow@sl6 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.x86_64]$

So there may be two bugs here.

First the kernel-devel includes do not have the autoconf file.

Second trying to make prepare fails. (So does trying a subsequent "make
clean".

{^_^}