SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:25:59 -0500
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:36 PM, n00b 101 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Scientific Linux release 6.5 (Carbon) on a Dell Latitude
> E6520 and would like to get the fingerprint sensor to work.  Information
> from lsusb command is

Why, exactly, do you want it?

Given the demonstrably poor return-on-investment of finigerprint
security, and the ease of defeating most fingerprint scanners with
bkack&white printouts of copied fingerprints, they're not the
biometric marvel claimed by the vendors of such technology. Are you
trying to simply scan fingerprints for anlysiis, in which case a
Windows VM running under Xen or KVM or VirtualBox should work well? Or
do you actually need it for Linux user authentication?