SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2014 14:24:08 -0800
On 02/14/2014 02:06 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Two days ago, one of my workstations upgrade a ton of packages. It is not
>> on SL 6.5. This workstation uses static networking.
>>
>> Two things showed up that are of concern (both messed up my
>> firewall script which reads and uses these values):
>>
>> 1) my "GATEWAY=" setting was removed from /etc/sysconfig/network
>> and moved to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
>>
>> "ifup eth1" will now read the "GATEWAY=" from ifcfg-eth1. If moved back to
>> /etc/sysconfig/network, ifup will no longer read it.
>>
>> Has "GATEWAY" in /etc/sysconfig/network been depreciated?
>>
>> 2) in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1, "BOOTPROTO=" got changed
>> from "static" to "none".
>>
>> Has this also been depreciated?
>>
>> Anyone know of a working document from Red Hat dealing with
>> what is current for ifcfg-ethx and /etc/sysconfig/network?
>
> GATEWAY works whether it's in network or ifcfg-*.

That is what I though.  Not any more  (I did test this).

> "static" has always been incorrect because it isn't a boot protocol.

It was at one time.  But, apparently got removed from
RHEL 6:
https://github.com/cobbler/cobbler/issues/361

> Since the scripts only check for "dhcp" and bootp" you could use
> "ToddAndMargo" and you'd still get a static address.
>
> (Are you sure that another admin didn't make these changes?)

I am the admin and I am he only one that uses that machine.

> I can't give you an exact path at the moment but there's a
> "sysconfig.txt" file in "/usr/share/doc/initscripts-<ver>/".

/usr/share/doc/initscripts-9.03.40/sysconfig.txt
That has the whole nine yards in it.  Very cool.
No more guessing and googling.  And is has the GATEWAY
in Network that no longer works too.

Thank you!

-T

--