SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:40:12 -0600
On 01/16/2014 12:26 PM, Denice wrote:
> Going from SL 6.(X) to 6.(X+1), the newer kernels are released as errata
> down the chain to previous minor releases.
>
> I've noticed that some specific firmware packages are also sometimes
> pushed down the chain (bfa-firmware for example), but many are not.
>
> For example, the 6.5 kernel series contains important updates for QLogic
> HBA adapters (we are always interested in the qla2xxx driver here :o).
>
> Along with the newer kernels are important QLogic firmware updates this
> time around - the firmware update goes from  5.08.00 to 7.00.01. in
> ql2500-firmware.
>
> It seems to me that it would be prudent to always push the current
> specific firmware packages as errata when the kernel from a new
> minor release first makes it to errata.  What do you think?
>
> cheers, etc.
>  denice

Our methodology for placing security packages in the older trees is
basically to only provide the minimum for installation of the update.
That doesn't cover every case, but we try to only provide what is
absolutely necessary for security errata to older releases.

I think of it this way: if you decided to stay at 6.1, then you've
decided you don't want all of the fixes that come with 6.2 or later - so
we don't give them to you unless they are required for your system
security.  If it isn't explicitly required, it isn't pushed.

My operating assumption is that if you want bug fixes you will track the
latest official release.  Anyone can also fetch individual rpms from any
historical or newer repo with yum or a web browser.

I hope this is helpful.

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky