SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:27:16 -0500
We use SL 5.10 and SL6.4 in a commercial company.
The stability is the obvious reason.   We do not want or need the latest
features that clutter the landscape.

If SL were to link up with or even consider Fedora - we would abandon it.

No one in their right mind would use a "sand box" as quoted by a RH Engineer
for a critical endeavor.   It is to allow freedom of development of SW only.
If you ever complained about an application in Fedora all you get is a ration
of crap from developers who are using it for a school project.
We used to point out expansion or correction to some Fedora projects but were
told to go away & we did.

We use SL6.4 for a lot of reduction of atmospheric and seismic data.  This is
serious stuff with serious money behind it.  Some problems run for many days.

If you need a stable system where you can depend on it and concentrate on you
project then SL is what you need.

Larry Linder