SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2014 19:06:39 -0800
On 01/15/2014 04:36 PM, Andrew Z wrote:

> Would not it be sufficient to have a "scientific applications" group
> in the installer?
>
> On Jan 15, 2014 7:29 PM, "Jean-Victor Côté" <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     They have included interesting IDEs:
>     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Scientific_Spin
>     Collaboration between the two projects might prove fruitful, who
>     knows?
>
>     Jean-Victor Côté, M.Sc.(Sciences économiques), (CPA, CMA), Post MBA
>     J'ai aussi passé d'autres examens, dont les examens CFA.
>     J'ai un profil Viadeo sommaire:
>     http://www.viadeo.com/fr/profile/jean-victor.cote
>     I also have a LinkedIn profile:
>     http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=2367003&trk=tab_pro

Whether or not a "scientific spin" is placed on Fedora, such an approach
does not address the fundamental issue.  Fedora is an enthusiast
perpetually alpha or beta distribution, never designed as a stable,
"bulletproofed", production distribution.  For many EL users, clone or
TUV, the reason is stability.  I do not need nor use beta environments
except for testing or for those situations in which I am forced to use a
Microsoft product (e.g., MS Win under VirtualBox under Linux).  Thus,
any Fedora environment simply does not address the needs of my work.

Yasha Karant