SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 21:07:12 -0600
On 01/07/2014 08:27 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 8/01/2014 1:08 PM, Steven Miano wrote:
>> So how does that impact Scientific Linux?
>
> In a nutshell? It doesn't.

I don't think it will hurt Scientific at all and from what I have been
reading it might make things easier and better. I (as a non-dev user, so
take this opinion accordingly) see two things that might help:
1) the hidden process of how CentOS rebuilds the SRPMs is being opened
up which should make CentOS even close to their binary-equivalent goal.
2) the variant ( http://centos.org/variants/ ) might actually make
things easier if Scientific just wanted to start with a core base and
build from there. I am sure there are going to be a dozen different
spin-offs of CentOS for this reason alone.

There are still a TON of details yet to be given, so we will see what is
actually delivered, but this is great news for the community as a whole.
Here is hoping that it makes things easier and better! Cheers!

~Stack~