SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2014 23:07:15 +0100
On 15/01/14 19:49, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

> - Red Hat (the company) considers Oracle (the company) one of their
> top two competitors.
>
> - Red Hat considers CentOS a competitor.
>
> - Red Hat believes acquiring CentOS will improve their bottom line.
>
> These statements are not "attacks". They are neither "good" nor "bad".
> They simply are.

They simply are pure speculations.  You might be right in the first point,
based on that both parties are commercial companies delivering competing products.

But the rest is pure garbage.  Red Hat has been for quite some years very
considerate and supportive to open source communities, even if they've not
been in-house projects.  And as several has stated, the Red Hat's mission
statement is quite clear, something which you seem to completely ignore:

     To be the catalyst in *communities* of customers, *contributors*, and
     partners creating better technology the *open source way*.

It cannot be said much clearer.  And now the work of the CentOS community has
an even clearer way to contribute back to the Red Hat.  *That* is a big win.
Suddenly CentOS can help their upstream to improve.  Red Hat can get better
products based on contribution from an officially bigger community, which
again rains down on the CentOS and SL users.

And Red Hat hasn't /aquired/ Cent OS, but CentOS was supportive to the idea to
come under the Red Hat umbrella, just as Fedora has been for many years (even
though Fedora was initiated by Red Hat).  Anynow, *if* CentOS had rejected
this, nothing would have changed from what it was.  Red Hat could not enforce
such a move.  This move is something that *both* the CentOS leadership and Red
Hat found being beneficial for both parties, which is why it happened.

And that's all we on the outside knows.  That's the only conclusion we can see
currently.

So please, stop speculating.  Unless you have some real facts which proves
things differently.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth